When I was preparing to write Dark Lord of Kismera, I researched articles on various subjects concerning Scotland. I found that Scotland has even more to offer than beautiful scenery and the tons of history. Here are just some of the cultural offerings Scotland has given us:
5) Penicillin—This antibiotic was discovered in 1928 by Scotsman and physician, Sir Alexander Fleming. While some people are allergic, and no one is fond of getting a shot in the rear, this antibiotic has saved many lives. I have kids, so when there is something you can give them to get them well again fast, I’m all for it.
4) Textiles—Besides various tweeds and other materials, colorful tartan items such as scarves are made and exported from Scotland. I have a scarf made in the MacKinnon hunting plaid. It is a beautiful scarf that I will always treasure.
3) Kilts—While kilts could fall into the textile category, I think gave their own rank because, let’s face it, kilts are special. It’s one of the only ways a man can pull off a “skirt.”
2) Malt Scotch Whiskey—Drace’s favorite adult beverage. I kind of like a taste now and then myself. I usually mix it with soda, but don’t tell Drace. He would probably be offended.
1) Shortbread cookies—I love, love, love shortbread. That’s all I have to say about it. Totally my favorite cookie.